Larry Goes to Fuengirola. (13) Saturday 21 May 2022

 A lazy day today. I checked out about 10am and cruised along to Carrefour to pick up some essentials - wine, beer, yogurt etc. Then set off for Iraty, only about 40 minutes away but along quite narrow and steep roads. The Col d'Iraty at 1347m is much higher up than St Jean.

I have been to Iraty before. The first time, I went to a well-known restaurant called Chalet Pedro, which I did not like. The second time, I went to a smaller place called Le Kayolar, and had a wonderful time. Le Patron let me put up my tent for the night next to the restaurant, and the next morning cooked me a lovely "full English" breakfast, just about the only one I have ever had in France.

Near the restaurant there is an "Aire de Camping car," which I parked up in. There were perhaps a dozen others there, mostly French. It is a very picturesque spot, with a stream and plenty of space. Then I walked over to Le Kayolar, which was just as I remembered it. I had a nice lunch, but I did not see le Patron. The waiter said that they were getting old and did not play an active part any more, and nowadays they only open at lunchtimes.

I will stay here tonight, and tomorrow I will head off to Lescun. En route I will stop off at the col and see if the restaurant there still does a magnificent Pyrenean soup/stew called a garbure.

The aire de camping car. Not crowded ..


Le Kayolar. Doing a good trade.



Comments