Larry Goes to Fuengirola. (6) Saturday 14 May 2022

 Having survived Friday 13th intact, I thought Saturday 16th would be a doddle, and in the end, so it proved.

I left the Ametza by about 8am, and set off for a little motorhome park at Gascones, near Buitrado del Lozoya. They have a website of sorts so I sent them an email, but no reply. Still I should be there by about 1pm so if things don't work out, there is plenty of time to find an alternative. I was not discouraged because I suspect an inverse relationship here in Spain: the less slick they are online, the more you will like it when you get there. Again, so it proved.

It is a fair distance from Hendaye to Gascones, via Irun, San Sebastian, and Burgoz, about 420km and 4h30m driving. I am following my usual "avoid toll roads" strategy but in this case it makes not much difference, timewise.

I made steady progress to San Sebastian, but just after that there is a bit of spaghetti with motorways to Bilbao, Pamplona and elsewhere, as well as Burgoz which is where I want.. no matter, Miss Google will tell me what to do, except suddenly, she doesn't! The phone says "data connection lost" and sullenly refuses to show me the route, any directions, or even a useful map.  Spanish major road signage is not straightforward, there seem to be a wide choice of numbers for every road. Acting with practised calm and decision, I immediately made a wrong turn and set off for Bilbao... however I soon noticed, pulled into a service area and managed to untangle the spaghetti, turn around and get back on track. Once on the main road for Burgoz, the navigation is straightforward since all the signs say Burgoz and Madrid. 

Eventually, it occurred to me to look at the phone settings and I found that "mobile data" had somehow become turned off. Another problem solved, relief all round, and now here was the turnoff for Campersierra Madrid. Found the place without trouble and as soon as I appeared, a smiling Spanish man ran over and opened the gate. Arrived, and welcomed.

The place is really just a parking lot for camper vans, but it has everything I could need. The lavatory is in one shipping container, the shower in another. But, actually inside they are spacious and comfortable. There is also a bar and a large covered area. The man showed me where to park and immediately thrust a beer into my hand. It turned out today was someone's birthday and they were having a barbecue. This stretched my social abilities and and my nonexistent Spanish well beyond their limits; one can only shrug and smile so many times. Still, I enjoyed being there.

This site could hardly be more different from the upmarket Ametza site in Hendaye, but heavens, I know which I prefer.

I am booked into a municipal site in Dona Mencia tomorrow, about a 5hr drive that will see me not so very far North of Malaga.

 



 The barbecue is in full flow.. we have had thunder, lightning and occasional heavy rain but it has not bothered them.

The site may not be all that prepossessing, but it has adequate facilities including electricity and wifi, and a warm welcome makes up for the rest. To you, €12 per night, electricite inc.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As for the barbecue, I did not spend much time with them but they gave me a plate of food to take away. I like it here :-)

 



Comments