Larry Goes to Fuengirola. (8) Monday 16 May 2022

 The garage where Larry is parked, Talleres Gomez, is a busy place and seems reassuringly competent. Promptly at 9am the van was driven inside and examined. Much rapid Spanish and use of hammers and spanners, but within half an hour or so, the problem was diagnosed as a failed airconditioning compressor. Repair would be done by tomorrow and then we could be on our way. This was a setback, and the repair expensive, but things could have been much worse. The cost of a new 6cyl 3l Mercedes engine doesn't bear thinking about.



 Larry on the operating table..

Since we don't have a travelogue at the moment, I did what any sane person would do, and turned to food and drink. I don't know what the Spanish equivalent of a Michelin star is, but I doubt if anywhere in Santa Cruz de Mudera has any. I set out to find a restaurant Tripadvisor liked, called Joven Family, but it did not seem to be where it was supposed to be. So instead I ended up last evening in the Bar Cacheras. A bit seedy on the outside, and a stranger to Tripadvisor, but it had quite a lot of good reviews on google, so in I plunged. 

Inside, the bar is cosy enough, dominated by a large TV, and the people were friendly and welcoming. Out the back, there is a large and pleasant patio area with plenty of shade:














I asked what food they had, received the usual incomprehensible reply and said that would be fine. What turned up was two eggs, chips and bread. Not quite the exotic Spanish tapas I had been expecting, but actually they were excellent, very nicely cooked. I had two decent sized glasses of white wine, and the total came to €8.

 

During the evening Miguel appeared, with his father. Miguel is six and is just starting to learn English. It was a close-run thing, but I reckon his English had a slight edge on My Spanish. Note the impressively large palm tree, apparently concreted in, or at least around.

 

 

 

 

 

 

So, a promising start, but for lunch today I went back, armed with the google translate app, and asked if they had any proper tapas. Indeed they did. First of all a little omelette, filled with .. well, this and that. Then another, not sure what it was called but it seemed to have several different things on it:



 There was a couple of little pasties, a salsa type thing mildly hot, a lamb cutlet, and bread and frites. Not bad, when you consider that with two tapas and two glasses of vino blanco, the total came to €3,80. Three guesses as to where I shall be going this evening.. 

I took a photo of the eggs and chips, you may as well have that too. Note crossword:


 







Comments